Tuesday, June 30, 2009

coup d'etat

Coup happen all the time. Yet isn't it amazing how one's whole perspective changes when you have a good friend in a country were political unrest is happening. Most of the time i go through my life without thinking twice in a year about countries like Honduras. And i would argue that i am a person who seeks to remain politically and socially aware of the developing world especially Latin America since i hope to retire there someday. yet because heather and i have a dear friend traveling in honduras for the next three weeks i cannot get the country out of my mind.

this morning as i sit in my safe office with the warm california sunshine shining in my window illuminating the keys of my laptop my heart breaks for this country. People just like you and me who now have a curfew and are forced by martial law to be out of the streets. People who only three days ago could walk around in virtual freedom now are completely unsure what the day will bring. I am reminded again that all of life is gift. freedom is gift. and even in a country "like ours" our lives could change in a single moment.

please be in prayer for the country of Honduras, not just today because i have a friend there but everyday, may we be a community of believers who are deeply concerned about the world around us. May we be conscious of the humanity of those around us and stand against anyone who tries to violate that humanity.

and while your at it. pray for my friend Calais and her family as they do acts of love in a country that desperately needs love today.

No comments: