Monday, November 30, 2009

A year and an island

Tomorrow marks an official year since I have been at Bethel. The crazy thing is, it feels like I have been here forever (in a good way) but yet the time has flown by. Heather and I have made great friends and surrogate family more quickly than I ever would have imagined. It is truly amazing to be in this community. I talk about it all the time so I am sure most of you are sick of hearing it. Our community is full of truly amazing people of all walks of life. The diversity is rich: socio-economically, ethnically, sexually, and generationally. The best part of all of this is some how within our differences people have figured out how to have unity. This is the type of community I have longed to be a part of my whole adult life. In a world that is so divided around every issue imaginable. We have found a way to be connected around community, care for the world, and desire to walk in the way of Jesus.

As one of our church members has said, “we are like the island of misfit toys.” To many this may seem offensive; to me it is one of the largest compliments I could ever receive. We all have our damage, our pains, our addictions, and struggles; yet together we have become a whole body. We are a body that needs each other simply to exist. We recognize a similarity, a connection with one another that draws us in, yet at the same time it compels us out. We go out into the world seeking other “misfit toys” to find a place they can call home and connect with others. Bethel is a beautiful place that I am honored to call home….a place of unity through our diversity. Thank you for giving me the honor to serve alongside each of you for the last year. Heather and I look forward to many years to come.

No comments: